Thursday, October 27, 2011

And now for something completely different...

Hey Blog,

So, I know this is late... but I am now a graduate of college! My senior project went spectacularly and I walked across the stage to get that cool diploma case that has a paper in it telling me I'll get it in ten weeks. Cool huh?! Heck yeah! I've been super stoked about it really, because I'm finally finished, and I get to start on something new. A new chapter if you will, a new season of my life that is about to begin.

Well... so far it's been pretty harsh. Granted, it's my first week out the door, I don't expect to be employed immediately. Although that would have been nice, I knew that would not happen and am on the beat to get employment. I've been looking around and looking around for positions that mesh with my goals and my interests. Which in it's own has been pretty difficult.

Well, for one, the particular career I'm seeking is in an industry that is very hard-core in it's own when it comes to how it works and getting employment in the field. Not only that, but I have grown a passion for doing a specific part of the field that is... well... it's few and far between. The people who do do it, often need to be great at it. There are very few entry level openings to get into this particular portion of the industry and if you don't find those you have to break in somehow.

At the moment, I'm prodding for means of getting those entry-level positions. I've applied at different places and... well, some of them aren't looking too good. Since I jumped onto the spot with one of the positions... my resumé at the time had holes in it and was missing a lot of the cool stuff that would make me stand out. My cover letter, had a single typo, but that typo can mean the biggest difference. Especially since that typo means I'm obviously not sharp enough to catch those sort of things on the job. Another thing, my resumé had a terrible mistake on it... honestly, I'm ashamed of what I turned into that position. I really wanted it, but I'm not happy about how I went into trying for it.

I've been very pro-active lately though, trying to contact recruiters and now I'm going to start hitting them with requests for meet-ups or phone calls. I want to know as much as I can, learn as much as I can, gain as many assets and connections as I can. It's really fun to be perfectly honest... connecting with people and getting familiar with people. Since I'm people-oriented, I've got kind of an edge. It's also helping me to sharpen that edge to being like a razor as I'm constantly trying to communicate.

I'm enjoying this new mode of life, and it can only really get better from here. Which is awesome while I think about it. The only issue is, well... I may have to leave this area behind on my seek to get employment. By leave this area, I mean... the area I've been basically living in my entire life. My social life, my family, all that jazz I'll have to leave behind for awhile as I pursuit my career. It's a little daunting, but... I know it has to be done.

I love my friends, and I love my family. However, I told them I've got a plan, a goal, a mission that I have to fulfill and will do what I can to accomplish that. I'll miss them, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

-----------------------------------------

On the flip side, following up on the relationship post I did before. I'm still kind of in a pit I guess. I suppose I need to stop thinking about it, but I think it just goes with the territory. I'm out of college now, I'm heading off into the employment world, and it just feels natural to want to engage in that type of thing with someone. Granted, it's still really not a good idea right now... but that feeling is creeping up in a dark fashion.

Like I said before, I'm the kind of guy to fall into things (although... my track record is not looking too hot in terms of success rate), so I just kind of let things happen. Go with the flow I suppose, see where things take me. When it comes to people, I have a habit of stumbling into cool ones. Which is nice, because it keeps it interesting. We'll see.

----------------------------------------

Generally, I'd post this on Blog 2, but just a thought... I'm feeling a lot better these days. More confident, more energetic, more healthy. Working out and making a change with my body is making me feel far different and far better. I'm in that... Tom 1.5 stage, where I'm not quite where I need to be to be a 2.0 model, but I'm getting close. I'll probably detail more on it on Blog 2, but I should keep some fresh info on you from time to time.

Well, wish me luck Blog as I journey forth into the working world. I'm being aggressive, I'm passionate, and I wont let myself fall behind.

Till next time Blog, take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment